Scorching record-breaking heat is promised across much of the U.S. this week, and you need cooling solutions, right? You’re going to need this– the best simple yet fancy cooling salad I can think of– light, fresh and hydrating, and ever so tasty. When you eat it, try to imagine someone nearby fanning you with a palm leaf. Can you feel it?
This refreshing salad was made to serve with an equally refreshing chilled rosé. I love the 2020 Quady North Rogue Valley/Southern Oregon GSM Rosé for it’s South-of-France typicity we don’t often find in an Oregon rosé.
About the Wine
Made with 48% Grenache, 42% Syrah, 9% Mourvedre, and 1% Counoise, it is quite dry and full of the mineral qualities I associate with a Provençal rosé. Its lower alcohol also makes it perfect for summer. You may notice a little orange peel aroma on the nose, and soft fruit and rain water filling out the mid-palate.
Quady North is organically farmed and LIVE certified for its sustainable winegrowing practices. Quady focuses on “small lot Loire-ish and Rogue Rhone releases”. There we go talking about France again!
He would not remember me, but years ago I met Quady North’s fearless leader, Herb Quady, at a wine symposium. I knew I’d like him when he told of how people choose their favorite wines. He said something like, “It is the one you had that night under the stars with friends, someone was playing your favorite song on a guitar, and maybe you were falling a little in love.” And, well, their labels are fantastic– The tattoos I’ll never have.
One last thing about Quady wines. At least for now, if you order two bottles shipping is free, and if you purchase a case you receive a 10% discount on this already quite affordable wine. Value added! (This is not a sponsored promotion.)
The Sweet + Spicy Shrimp Melon Salad
Even boiling water for pasta or standing at the grill sounds a bit exhausting in heat like this. Sweet + Spicy Shrimp Melon Salad is a no-cook endeavor if you buy your shrimp already cooked, and please do! After a few chops of a knife and a few shakes of a jar you’ll be made in the shade.
For a vegan option, sizzle bite-sized cubes of pressed tofu in hot oil until they brown, allow them to cool, and treat them the same as you would the shrimp.
Sweet + Spicy Shrimp and Melon Salad
- 6-8 per person cooked chilled shrimp, preferably shelled and tail-on
- ¾ average cantaloupe, chilled and diced
- 1 long cucumber, chilled and diced
- ⅓ cup purple onion, scallion, or sweet onion
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 2 cups cilantro, basil, mint, and chives, chopped and lightly packed in any combination or alone
- ¼ – ⅓ cup Sweet + Spicy Dressing, below
Sweet + Spicy Dressing
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Gently toss all ingredients except avocado in a large bowl. Top the salad with the cubed avocado tucked here and there. (This keeps the avocado from being squished!) Serve.
Sweet + Spicy Dressing
- Place all ingredients in a screwtop jar. Shake until the honey and salt are dissolved. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for use on other summer fruit-based salads.